One of the many joys in child development is watching the inquisitive minds of children. Watching their fascination of a light switch turning on and off, and/or seeing the wonder in their mind of where the water goes when the toilet flushes. During every stage of growth children are learning more about their environment. Everything becomes and adventure for young children. However, this is also the time when the little adventurers will discover their way into household items that could cause them harm. Here are some simple tips to keep children safe and protected.
5 Basic Posion Safety Tips
- Store all household products out of children’s sight and reach. Young kids are often eye-level with items under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Therefore any bleach, detergents, dishwasher liquid or cleaning solutions that are kept there should be relocated to a space that is not acceptable to childs reach.
- Keep watchful eye on products as you are using them.. Many incidents happen when adults are distracted. In the split of a second your distraction can be all th time your child needs to get into mischief. Whether you are answering the phone or the door, always to put poducts away and out of reach.
- Create safety measures with locks on cabinets where you may keep detergent pods for laundry and the dishwasher. It is always better to heir on the side of precation.
- Knowing what you are using helps to minimize risk. Read product labels to find out what can be hazardous to kids. Dangerous household items include makeup, personal care products, plants, pesticides, lead, art supplies, and alcohol.
- Be prepared for an emergency. Contact poison control immediately at (800) 222-1222 if you suspect that your child has been accidentally exposed to a dangerous substance, or is showing symptoms. Seeking the medical expertise of a poison center specialist could be lifesaving.